As the culmination of the vision of the founding nine women in 1883, construction of the original building began in 1893 and took about seven months to complete. It originally opened to the public on June 19, 1894.
MMA proudly partnered with SCMC on their recent renovations, which included new flooring, seating, and stage upgrades in the Royce Auditorium; all new business offices and rehearsal spaces; refreshed lobby, parlor and President’s Room on the main floor; upgrades and new finishes for the upper level ballroom; and improvements to entrances and public toilet rooms. We focused on high-level collaboration and communication with SCMC staff, consultants, and their construction manager to organize and prioritize the many details for the renovation to occur without disruption to the normal business operations, such as performances and events.
St. Cecilia Music Center is the only surviving building in the United States that was built and maintained by women for the sole purpose of music, remaining true to its original mission “to promote the appreciation, study, and performance of music, and to enrich the lives of the residents of West Michigan.” The renovated SCMC celebrated its grand re-opening on November 3, 2016.